About Us

Bethel Baptist Church began in 1887 as a mission outreach meeting under a brush arbor. In August, 1888 a series of evangelistic meetings were held by Rev. Pinkney Oliver. In November, 1888 land was donated to the trustees of Bethel Arbor. On December 28, 1889 Bethel was organized into a church with seventeen charter members and Pinkney Oliver was called as pastor.

The first church building, built in August, 1889, was a one room, 40×40 frame structure. This building burned on March 9, 1949. The existing brick church building was built in late 1949. In 1964 a Sunday School addition was added. The sanctuary was remodeled in 1978. A new foyer with restrooms, basement classrooms, and an elevator were added in 2010.

A picnic shelter built in the early 1960’s was later enclosed into a fellowship hall. A new 40×80, two level, Fellowship Hall replaced the old shelter  in September, 1988.

Bethel began supporting missions soon after the church was rebuilt in 1949 by supporting a local Bible College. In 1954 support began for Doris Bruce, a missionary nurse to India. A number of missionaries have been added since.

Bethel continues as an independent Baptist Church, committed to the fundamental doctrines of Scripture and to the fulfillment of the “Great Commission” given in Matthew 28:19-20. Although we oppose liberal compromise and cults, we choose to focus on the positive grace of the Gospel of Christ.